Friday, February 10, 2012

Even demons believe ......


[ This post prompted by "The Naked Gospel" by Andrew Farley ]
[ I give money to the poor, but it is not my raison d'etre,
which is more about the poor (in spirit, in health, in wealth)
realising how Richly Jesus views us.]

Martin Luther wanted to leave the letter from James out of his thoughts !
This post relates to James 2.

Is it "works for salvation"? so opposing Ro3, Ro9
(justification by trusting Jesus).
Is it "can such faith (without works) save him"?

How does James interpret "works" and "belief"?

He says demons believe God is real (how could they not!),
but their "thought, held to be true" is dead.
Why is it dead?
Because demons have no loving response to, or place in, Jesus.

The Greek word, pistis, here translated, faith, also means belief.
The Greek word, pisteuo, here translated, believe, also means
"thoughts held to be true".

James starts the chapter discussing "thoughts held to be true".
It is good to get on with the elite.
Elite people are treated differently to the poor,
but those same elite can take you to court and blame God.

You have a system of worthy rules to join the "club"!
Also you seem to have a system that turns a blind eye
to some rules if other rules are kept.

I hear your thoughts that the poor should be helped.
The club says it is worthy, it believes in God,
it has thoughts to help the poor and it does something,
- "what are you doing" says your club member.

This is when James says, yes,
even demons have thoughts held to be true about God !

James goes on to explain what "works" looks like in Christ.

James uses two old testament examples to define works.
Abraham's and Rahab's response was more than intellectual.
It was active.
It is not a life-long series of responses that saved them.

I paraphrase Andrew Farley's summary of James 2 thus :

We're justified by works.

Rahab and Abraham did one significant work.

Living faith involves opening a door (like Rahab).
Living faith involves an offering of self (like Isaac).

Living faith requires more than knowing something.

Living faith requires a decision to act on this knowledge.

Have you opened the door to Jesus? - a work.
Have you offered yourself in Jesus? - a work.

[Being joined to Jesus is a work of delight.]

+++

I speak out, with my mouth, my belief
in the compassion, beauty, and love that Jesus Christ
has for all mankind (especially me) and
I trust in my heart that He died,
as me, for all my failures, that separated us.
I identify with Him in His death on the cross, His burial,
and especially in His Resurrection by the Holy Spirit,
Who gives me a completely New Spirit
replacing my old nature with His New ALIVE Nature.
His loving relationship with me LASTS ETERNALLY.

YES!!!!!

+++

+++

No comments:

Post a Comment